The GEO is the most comprehensive report series published by UNEP (United Nations Environment programme) systematically covering the state of the global environment in light of both well established as well as emerging socio-environmental concerns and challenges. GEO 6 has recently been received all countries at the United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA) in Nairobi, Kenya.
Report GEO 6 is available in official UN languages at: https://www.unenvironment.org/resources/global-environment-outlook-6
Czech Republic contributed to the development of the report by providing core funding to UNEP for the performance of its primary mandate, which includes keeping the environment under review and strengthening the science-policy interface. The Czech Republic also provided expert assistance to the process through its representative, Prof. Bedřich Moldan in the High Level Inter-Governmental and Stakeholder Advisory Group (HLG)
The report presents an unfavourable assessment of current environmental developments and offers number of key political messages, such as:
- Unsustainable production and consumption trends mean the world is on the wrong path to achieve the healthy planet needed to attain sustainable development.
- Greenhouse gas emissions have committed the world to an extended period of climate change with multiple and increasing society-wide risks
- The impacts of pesticides, heavy metals and plastics are growing and life-threatening. Neurotoxic and endocrine disrupting chemicals impacts are multi-generational. Antibiotic resistant infections are projected to become one of the main causes of death worldwide by 2050.
- Many ecosystems are already degraded, lowering their resilience to adapt to climate change and enhancing risks of irreversible impacts.
- The social and economic costs of inaction often exceed the costs of action and are inequitably distributed and often borne by the weakest in society.
Objective of the dialogue
To introduce the GEO report as a keyinput into the academic, political, and public debate on the future of environmental governance and to provide for a reflection of the content and the value of findings
In its opening segment, the event will introduce the GEO process and present the key findings and recommendations of the GEO 6 report on the state of the environment and its management, organized according to key interconnected themes, which will serve as basis for subsequent discussion.
This will be followed by a team of domestic and international panellists, who will discuss the conclusions of the report, their implications, as well as the merit and future of GEO for the needs to the target stakeholders. Guests, who will present their views at the dialogue will include for example:
- Dr. Sinaia Netanyahu, former Chief Scientific Advisor to the Ministry of Environment of Isreael,
- Prof. Bedřich Moldan, Former Minister of Environment of teh Czech Republic and the country’s representative in the High-level Advisory Group for GEO 6.
- Dr. Srdan Matić, Head of WHO country Office for the Czech Republic
- Ing. Vladislav Smrž, Deputy Minister of Environment of the Czech Republic
As well as other experts from the civil service, the academia, and civil society.
Due to the attendance of international guests and the global dimension of the theme, the morning program will be conducted in the English language, while the afternoon program focused primarily on implications at domestic level will be held in Czech.
The target audience of the dialogue includes stakeholders involved in environmental governance and expert community; representatives of relevant ministries, houses of parliament, international organizations, as well as members of research and academic institutions and organizations engaged with civil society (including e.g. education)
The dialogue will feature national and international speakers and panellists from participating institutions (Ministry of Environment, United Nations, Partner countries, academia, etc – more information in agenda).
Follow the event at Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/events/2657201807629682/
* After saving registration please also click on "confirm registration".